... just the same ol' procrastination routine ;)
I'm just not in the mood. It's hard to study because I kind of already know my fate for grad school. I'm planning on taking a year off next year. I already have emails ready to send to a few Speech Therapists in the area that might be looking for an assistant. I haven't sent them yet because I'm waiting until I receive the last two letters back (one from the U of A and one from Conway.)
To be honest, I'm really OK with this path. I think taking a year off and finding a place of my own, learning more about myself, and not worrying about studying sounds great. I can do that. I'm just anxious playing the waiting game... and also a little worried about finding a job.
I need to get something off of my chest tonight. Something that really stinking bothers me.
My friend, Mateya, touched on this topic a little bit today and I'd like to expand.
I get caught up reading different blogs and also things on Facebook. I feel jealous a lot of the time of things that people have that I don't. People always look like they lead the perfect life. They look like they never fight with their spouse. They look like they only buy the best things, they are a perfect child of God, they always wear the cutest clothes, etc. etc. etc.
Sometimes I leave my computer and I'm in a funk. How do I get the things those people have? How do I change my relationship with Dylan so that we never fight? I want to agree with him about everything. I want him to be perfect so that we are the perfect match. I want what those people look like they have.
I'm never going to have it. Those people are never going to have it. There is no such thing.
I have so much doubt in my relationship with Dylan sometimes (although he'd probably tell you most of the time...) and I think it is because I try so hard to make it perfect. We aren't perfect. I just need to get that out there.
I didn't "fall in love" with Dylan the first time I laid eyes on him.
Sometimes, when I'm mad at him (even for the stupidest reasons) I don't say "I love you" back after he says it.
Our first kiss wasn't perfect. It was far from perfect actually. And it was on the first date.
We've been dating for two years and I still don't know if we'll get married.
I'm not always attracted to him.
He didn't send me flowers on Valentines day. In fact, he was in Vegas (for work) and barely even spoke to me that day.
We don't communicate very well sometimes.
He "forgets" fights we've had before they are even over, and seriously thinks they'll disappear on their own. I want to strangle him for that.
We don't believe in the exact same things.
He's takes FOREVER (Don't you dare think I'm exaggerating) he takes FOR.EV.ER. to get ready/get things done. And I am the exact opposite.
He could sleep in till 11 every day and I like to be up kinda early. We fight almost every time he sleeps in.
He isn't perfect.
Neither am I.
I don't want Dylan and I to be portrayed as "The Perfect Couple" because we aren't. I wouldn't post every tiny fight we get into or disagreement we have on here or Facebook (although those points listed above are kind of close. don't judge. I'm trying to make a point here.) But I think it is important to keep it real. I think its important to remember that ALL couples disagree. They all argue. And the feelings I have for Dylan haven't fully developed to the point where I can love him unconditionally and that's ok. There's no rush.
These feelings I have are shocking to me because when I was a single girl, I had numerous people tell me "I just knew he/she was the one. I knew on the first date. I knew the first time I saw him/her." etc. People would tell me I'll just "know" and because of that... I feel like everything has to be perfect- we have to be the perfect match. No disagreements. Gotta believe the same exact things and so on. And it isn't true, people. When you think you've met someone worth spending time with... you've got to work through the differences that creep up on ya. You have to compromise. You have to learn how to communicate. And you have to accept them as the person they are because let's face it- somethings won't change.
Dylan and I are still working on most of these things. Most of the time, we are happy. And I do love him.
If you can't tell... I'm going through a bit of a funk at the moment. I'm not sure if it is completely the Dylan deal, or if its the uncertainty of my schooling/career/life... But I needed to get that off my chest. And I do feel a bit better now.
And bless your heart if you read all that.
So long, Monday.
4 years ago

Sweet Emily you are not alone here! Everything you are saying/feeling...I have been there. Even now after almost 6 months of marriage I struggle all the time! Marriage/relationships are HARD! The people who appear to have the perfect bf/husband are just ridiculous because it's not true.
ReplyDeleteThe thing about Facebook and blogging is that people choose what they want to post. Of course they are not going to post that their husband is annoying them or they are having a hard time finding a job, etc. They only put the good stuff out there. It is so hard to remember that though and not just think that their life is perfect and ours sucks haha!
I had the same apprehensions about my relationship with Robbie. At times I seriously questioned whether I truly wanted to marry him or if I just wanted to get married. And to be completely honest, sometimes I am still unsure (that sounds horrible but it's true!) I know that I love him and I am married to him and I AM going to make it work. I am happy, but that doesn't mean I don't question why the heck we got married in the first place when we get in horrible fights! I think it's just normal!
Praying you get out of this "funk" that we all go through!