Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Just.Come.Home.

Since Dylan is in the Air Force, he spends most of his time behind a desk and a computer. He usually gets to work a little early so that he can call me, and after we hang up we still have a while to "chat" through email. Only problem with that is... I have to stay up super late and it kills me during the day - I'm absolutely exhausted.

Last week sometime, one of Dylan's coworkers in Afghanistan left to come home. She had a cell phone that she got while she was over there and gave it to him before she left. I'm not exactly sure how all of that works, I do know that he has to buy a calling card in order to use it.

It's been great for us because I'm going to start going to bed a little bit earlier at night, and he usually calls me after my first class in the mornings (Somtimes.) But it's perfect because we aren't rushed to get off the phone and he kind of has some privacy (instead of being in his office)

The only problem is... it's expensive. And Dylan asked if I would do some research on international calling with my cell phone company and maybe get a calling card if that didn't work.. Well with a plan through my cell phone company it would be $1.99 a MINUTE. So I kindly told the gentleman "NO!" Ha.

BUT I've been researching calling cards to see which would be best and the truth is... I don't think there IS one that would be the best. And I don't fully know how the whole "calling card" thing works. It stresses me out. Besides that... I'd rather not spend $30 on something like that.. is that selfish?

Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is expensive! I don't really have any advice. Robbie just bought some sort of calling card thing over there and calls me on my cell phone so it's regular minutes for me. That's great that he can call so often though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your title, opened the link, and read a few posts....The beauty of an online world!

    When my husband was deployed we did the whole cell phone thing. EXPENSIVE! My friend did a little research for me and there are a couple of different ways to get phone calls. On Skype and Yahoo IM there's a way to do outgoing calls. I can't quite remember if there was a charge.

    BUT, I found the best solution to our phone problem....Yahoo Voice! While in Kuwait/Iraq, my husband was able to have an internet hookup right in his tent - this was a huge help! Anyway, with Yahoo Voice you put money on your account which allows your man to dial out of his computer and to your cell phone. But, here's the best part...you can pay for a phone number that gets attached to his Yahoo Voice account, so whenever he's logged in he can receive phone calls. I liked it because I could call and "leave a message" for my husband. I was looking at his computer the other day and found a couple saved messages.

    Here's the link:
    http://voice.yahoo.jajah.com/home/index.castle?

    I hope this helps with your search for a cheap way to stay in touch with your beloved!

    ReplyDelete